Entering student teaching has been one of the most fulfilling and gratifying milestones that I have accomplished in my educational career. I have dreamed about this time and imagined the experience. While I am enjoying getting to know my cooperating teacher and the students, the experience has not been what I've imagined. Being in the classroom for years as an assistant, I assumed that the transition into being a lead classroom teacher would be seamless. It has been difficult leaving the mindset of an assistant and crossing over into the more authoritarian role of teacher. I have always been confident and knowledgeable in the classroom. I have always been able to be a great resource to my classroom teacher. I am not comfortable with making decisions in the classroom currently, and I do not feel like I have the right to make decisions.
I have so many new ideas and I am completely capable of taking control of the classroom, but I definitely do not feel as comfortable as I initially hoped. The approach that my cooperating teacher and I have taken, is taking on one subject area and perfecting my teaching skills in that area before moving on to other responsibilities. Right now, I am teaching reader's workshop. This twenty minute time period allows me to try classroom management techniques and build relationships with the students while also working on the craft of teaching. I am becoming more comfortable with teaching this segment as each day goes by and I am looking forward to reaching this level of comfort in all areas of the classroom.
I feel extremely blessed to be working with such an experienced and gifted teacher. I feel like there is so much that I can learn from her. I think that there are times when I feel discouraged because I am not as amazing as my cooperating teacher. She has given me a very high bar to reach, and I work daily to reach that bar.
No comments:
Post a Comment